'Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.' -- Eugene V. Debs

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Down The Memory Hole 

So ... uh ... Grover Norquist, the guy that Tucker Carlson called "a mean-spirited, humorless, dishonest little creep" who's like "the leering, drunken uncle everyone else wishes would stay home"*, wants to put Reagan on the ten dollar bill. Which is, I must say, an idea that makes me cringe but it's hard for me to get up in arms over such a dopy topic given that (a) it's probably not going to happen and (b) the motive of the Reagan 10-spot proponents is obviously to make leftists cringe -- what the hell else could their motive be? Let the right waste its time on issues that don't matter ... Fine by me.

However, there is a related issue that I can get a little excited about: What the hell ever happened to Grover Norquist being in bed with the terrorists!? Jesus, does anyone else remember several months ago when what's-his-name -- Christopher Hitchen's new role model -- published that big exposé about Grover's strange bedfellows? Look, to be honest, I actually thought at the time that the FrontPageMag.com piece was probably the fevered product of rightwing anti-Islam paranoia gone horribly wrong -- but what the hell do I know? I do know this, however: if the target of the accusations had been a liberal or leftist activist, Ashcroft would have had the stake in the ground and the firewood piled and doused with gasoline before you could have blinked your fucking eye...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?