'Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.' -- Eugene V. Debs

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Maybe Those Protester Kids Are in Cahoots With al-Qaeda ... 

Unless I hallucinated this, last night on CNN Headline News Rudi Bakhtiar interviewed some protester about being hassled and intimidated by the FBI because she (the protester) plans on taking part in the RNC protests. The protester did a good job, I thought; she said what any sane person would say about the FBI dropping by for transparently political reasons. Anyway, that segment ends and then the very next story is Mike Galanos saying, I kid you not, that knowledgable sources believe al-Qaeda is trying to recruit women, Westerners, and non-Muslims to help case possible terrorist targets in the US with less scrutiny. Did anyone else see this? Headline News transcripts are not online as far as I know so I can't back this up with links...

For the record, I wondered what the source of this non-Muslim recruiting story was and poked around a little. The only thing I could find is this little article on some second-rate obviously rightwing news site, which bases the story on .. um .. some guy's opinion from a rightwing think-tank. The guy's name is Nimrod Raphaeli and he's a frequent contributor to Horowitz's FrontPageMag.com, 'nuff said. So CNN ran a rightwing extremist talking point as a news story, but I guess there's nothing unusual about that.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?