'Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.' -- Eugene V. Debs

Friday, February 03, 2006

Another Vanunu Trial 

Vanunu's trial in Jerusalem started last week.

He's charged with violating the terms of his release by granting interviews to foreign journalists. Remember, I think, two years ago he got out of jail and started doing interviews with Amy Goodman and the British press every three seconds? -- that's what this is about. Israel claims that it is a danger to its national security for Mordechai Vanunu to talk to non-Israeli journalists. Here's a bit of his account of the first day of the trial:

This evidence was accompanied by testimony given by a police officer who interrogated me last year in a police station. This police interrogation was recorded by secret video camera without my knowledge. Also they brought the policeman who arrested me on my way to Bethlehem on Christmas eve 2004.

This was the first session. It took some four hours. The following session will be on the 9th of February for more witnesses by the police.

So this is "the trial" that Israel wants, at the same time they are hiding it, hiding the fact that this is a trial not about 'state security', as they have said in the past 20 years, but about the fact of me SPEAKING TO THE PRESS! NO 'NUCLEAR SECRETS' INVOLVED! I HAVE NO MORE SECRETS SINCE THE PUBLICATION IN 1986!

NEVER IN ALL MY COURT CASES HAVE I FOUND THE COURTS SEEKING THE TRUTH OR JUSTICE AND I DOUBT THEY WILL NOW.

-VMJC.

Good old Vanunu... Also here's his thoughts on running in to Jimmy Carter, who was in the neighborhood for the Palestinian elections:

It was a good surprise to find myself in the restaurant eating dinner while Jimmy Carter came to have his dinner in the American Colony restaurant.
When Carter and his wife were leaving his wife recognised me and I came to say hello.
Carter and his wife say they will be very happy to see me in US.
It was just good to meet a man of peace in this very crazy region, after the trial of yesterday. -vmjc

Christ, Jimmy Carter is going to be waiting a long time if he's waiting for the day when Mordechai Vanunu steps on an airplane in Israel and steps off in the United States...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?