'Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.' -- Eugene V. Debs

Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Odds You'd Have to Lay on Hitchens in a "Recantation Pool" 

Jonathan Schwarz flags some premium Hitchens bashing by Dennis Perrin in which Perrin argues that Hitchens is actually "getting worse".

The cited post struck a chord with me because when I read about Johann Hari I considered briefly organizing a "recantation pool" -- like one of those celebrity death pools -- in which you place bets on the identity of the next big name jackass to retract expressed pro-Iraq War beliefs. I decided that it was too late for such an endeavor -- I can't think of enough people who still might turn.

What for instance would it take for Hitchens to see the light? Come hell or civil war, you know he's sticking this one out, and will predictably over-compensate by, as Perrin puts it, getting worse...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?