'Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.' -- Eugene V. Debs

Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Program Note 

In the next day or so, I hope to publish a post about the recent release of the police report describing the factual allegations against Assange, but, for now, I am in agreement with As'ad Abukhalil, the Angry Arab:

Many angry leftists wrote to me in protest against what I wrote last week regarding accusations against Assange. I merely said that leftists should rally to the support of Assange as a victim of a global, US-orchestrated campaign to punish him for the release of documents--the authenticity of which have not been questioned--but should not necessarily rally to his defense regarding the accusations by the two women. Both things can be true: that the accusations may have some validity while it is also indubitably true that the use of the interpol and the prosecutor's office in Sweden is conducted on behalf of the US for political purposes. As I read the long report in the New York Times this morning about the accusations by the two women--and I believe that those accusations should be investigated--I wondered to myself: since when does the horrible New York Times care about the plight of female victims of sexual assault and molestation? Why does not the pages of New York Times be used to investigate sexual crimes in New York City for example?

I am tempted to expand upon this more now, but I have to make sure that my young son doesn't end up watching Kipper all day.

Labels: , , , , ,


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?