'Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.' -- Eugene V. Debs

Friday, September 23, 2011

Celebrate Perpetual War on 9/11: Conclusion 

Back in August, I ran into someone who told me that they were planning to go to New York City for the 9/11 memorial. A relative of someone they knew had been killed in the attacks. A few days ago, I ran into him again, and he told me about his vacation. I was surprised when he said that he had travelled around the East Coast and Ohio Valley, but hadn't gone to New York City. He proceeded to explain that the victim's family told him that they had no intention of participating in the public ceremonies, and that they considered their loss a private one. For them, 9/11 was an occasion for personal grief and reflection and not one for public display.

Labels: , ,


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?